Oulton Park Debriefing

Oulton Park

The opening race in the WSS GT3 championship saw us visit the Oulton Park International circuit. With over 30 sign ups the track was going to be full and with a tight and narrow track the action was guaranteed. The drivers had certainly took the competition seriously as there where over 4200 laps completed in practice alone!.

The field of 26 drivers at Oulton Park

With such a big grid of over 25 cars taking to the grid securing the top spot on pole position would be vital for a chance of winning the race, this was secured by the very prolific driver Michal Nizio with half a second over Gregorz Bulat in second place in qualifying. With 4 different manufactures in the top ten no one car seeming to have the advantage.

The formation lap proved eventful with the P11 car driven by our own admin Mark Robinson saw him take to the grass after running wide picking up some damage along the way. After the green flag was shown Michal got a great start and held his lead with pressure from the rest of the field. Mean while further down the grid the start was a different tale, cars of Mada Andhika, Bryan Vorce and Harris Muhammad found them selves on the green stuff after a tight melee going through the first few corners.

“Gutted, there’s really no other word for it” Bryan Vorce in the gravel after being clipped early on the race.

After settling down the grid had battles through out the field, an assault on Nizios lead was being lead by Bulat closely followed by the Rookie Monsters car driven by Matthew Beavis. Lone Wolf Racing driver Samuel Roveda had had a good start to the race and was closing down on Mad Hawk Racing’s Lukas Lichten until missing his braking point going into the last corner saw him in the gravel trap and losing 2 positions.

The race had more install for Roveda after catching Lichten again, to be then a victim of bad luck when Lichtens car suffered a ‘wiggle of death’ unable to steer clear of the car infront Roveda’s car took to the grass eventually finding itself perched on the tyre barrier.

Unlucky Samuel Roveda ‘perched’ on the tyre barrier.

Chris Payne of Tri-Continental Racing was having a good race until one to many downshifts was to much for the Radicals engine blowing it and sending him into retirement. Mark Robinson had put his formation lap mishap behind him and made his way through the grid making up multiple spots only then to make another mistake near the end of the race, limping his way across the line in 13th place.

Fuel played a big factor in the ending stages of the race with both Matt Beavis and Daniele Vidimari having to save fuel just to make it to the chequered flag. This played into Nizio’s hands having managed his fuel a little better saw him take the win having lead from start to finish, with Matthew Beavis and Daniele Vidimari rounding out the top 3.

Winner!! Michal Nizio takes the chequered flag at Oulton Park

After the first round’s action packed race all eyes will be now on round 2 at Snetterton 300, a very tight twisting track with a very difficult final corner. We would like to thank all the drivers that took part at Oulton Park and look forward to seeing you at the next round.

Translate »